Competitions provide an opportunity for you to receive recognition for your work. Volunteer judges with professional expertise in technical communication judge your entry against criteria that measure the degree of technical content, achievement of purpose, and technical execution, whether online or in a printed deliverable.
Top 4 Reasons to Compete
Here are some reasons why you should join a technical writing competition:
1. To practice and improve your skills.
STC Technical Communication competitions are a great way to practice your technical communication skills in a real-world setting. You will be given a specific task to complete, and you will need to use your skills to create a high-quality document. This can help you to identify areas where you need to improve, and it can also help you to develop new skills.
2. To get feedback from other professionals.
Most technical writing competitions have a judging panel of experienced technical communicators. This gives you the opportunity to get feedback on your work from people who know what they are talking about. You can use this feedback to improve your writing, designing, and editing skills and to make your documents more effective.
3. To network with other Technical Communicators
Technical Communication competitions are a great way to meet other technical writers and to learn from their experiences. You can also use this opportunity to network with potential employers or clients.
4. To win prizes and recognition.
Most of STC Technical Communication competitions offer prizes to the winners. This can be a great way to boost your resume and to get your work noticed by potential employers.
Here are some additional benefits of joining a technical writing competition:
- Challenge yourself: Technical writing competitions can be a great way to challenge yourself and to see what you are capable of.
- Boost your confidence: Winning a technical writing competition can boost your confidence and make you feel more confident in your skills.
- Gain experience: technical communication competitions can give you the opportunity to gain experience working on different types of projects and with different types of audiences.
- Have fun: STC Technical Communication competitions can be a lot of fun. They are a great way to meet other technical writers, to learn new things, and to challenge yourself.
Overall, there are many benefits to joining a technical communication competition. It is a great way to improve your skills, get feedback from other professionals, network with other technical writers, and win prizes and recognition.
Both members and nonmembers may enter their work in an STC technical communication competition. While STC suspended its international competition in 2017, several chapters still manage local competitions.
Read more on the STC Nation’s Website.
Communities that host competitions
There are a number of STC Chapters that host competitions that students and professionals can join as judges or as competitors.
- Dallas Technical Communication Competition: The NTLSC hosted their own technical communication competition for a number of years. Participants submitted professional pieces of technical communication to be judged.
- Technical Communication Trivia Competition: We host small technical communication trivia competitions where students and professionals test their knowledge of technical communication concepts and practices. Participants answer multiple choice, short answer, and team challenge Questions are generally sourced from Technical Communication Today, 5th and 6th edition.
Have an idea for a competition or want to cohost a competition with us?
Reach out to the NTLSC president. We are willing to host the Technical Communication Trivia Competitions with interested organizations.