Welcome, and we are glad you are here!
The career world is never easy to navigate.
Research shows that one-third of our lives are spent at work, that is 90,000 hours throughout a lifetime. And by the age of 30, most people will have had 7-8 jobs.
As a student, you are busy with school and life in general. We know sometimes your responsibilities are overwhelming and just being able to get through a course is hard. Beyond that, you are also thinking, what would life look like after I graduate?
You can choose to go with the flow while also being intentional.
We at the North Texas Lone Star Chapter (NTLSC) would like to help put you in the driver’s seat of your career long before you graduate. We want to help you connect the dots from campus to career and that is why we started this mentoring program.
Our Student Program
Advisory Mentoring Student Program:
- Applicant must be a member of STC Lone Star Chapter
- Student members must pay the going membership fee of $75.00 US dollars.
- Once a student becomes a member, our chapter reimburses the student with a $20.00 discount*
- The duration for mentoring is 16 weeks (may vary with spring and fall breaks)
- We welcome all students in their Junior or Senior year to apply
- Participants must complete a mentee application
- Participants will be paired with a professional mentor
- Topics covered in this program will focus on your career path
Student members will also enjoy these benefits:
- 6 months access to MadCap FLARE content tool
- One-time free training to MadCap introductory class (online)
- Access to Lone Star STC monthly newsletter
- Access to all STC Lone Star events
- Opportunity to publish an article about your experience as a mentee in the chapter’s newsletter
- Opportunity to participate in chapter’s testimonial videos
- Closing ceremony with Certificate of participation
From Campus to Career – Your Career Development is Our Focus
Mentors are sharing from their deep experiences to provide you with next-level insights on career-related topics:
- Resume, LinkedIn Profile, building your network
- Using Self-awareness as a competitive advantage to build your portfolio and personal brand
- Setting Goals
- Working in Teams
- User Experience field and Technical Communication
- Writing Tools
- Emerging Writing Opportunities in Business World
And much more…
What are Mentees Saying About Our Program?
I am a Junior and I decided to join this program to learn more about real-world use cases and how it relates to my field of study, technical communication. I can truly say that what I learned from my mentor, I could never get from any textbook – A. Miller, UNT
I am a senior, I decided to join the program because I believe in “taking any opportunities I could to be successful.” I saw this as an excellent opportunity to help me build my professional network and to expose me to the business world. – C. Johnson, UNT
I am a senior, I decided to join the program because I didn’t yet have any job, internship, or networking opportunities and I felt like it would be a great place to start to get my mindset on job hunting. This program helped me to bridge the gap between my tech comm classes and being in the actual, real field of tech comm. -P.Keen, UNT
Ready to Get Started?
Send an inquiry message to Mentoring_Leadership@STCDFW.org.
Footnote: *This discount does not apply to the University of North Texas (UNT) Students. They have a separate agreement with their Technical Communication Department.